Sunday 23 November 2008

Starry nights & lattes

Hey guys

Peaches here... Been thinking a little about this whole structure thing of writing. Nanowrimo is in full swing, causing random bursts of word-craze here and there, which I've gotta say is both inspiring and daunting. Makes you think of all those half/un-finished pieces taking up space on the hard-drive. Not to mention the paper trails under the desk...

I've been thinking about development techniques. The hardest part about coming to the ending, for me, is getting a proper grip on the whole story-line. I'm a little bit of a damaged perfectionist, I have to understand the meaning behind every word, every action, my characters take. I want to know their issues, their inhibitions, what drives and what breaks them. So I figured, why not analyse it. You have a story in your head, but you are not completely certain of how it is going to play out, or if your answers are the right ones, or complex enough to reflect this 'reality'.

So, with a latte (extra whip! Extra I tell you! if you can't get chocolate sprinkles on it...) at my side, and country music-meets Kanye something-or-other playing on the cafe` radio, I started doing a report. Remember English class in school, when you had to read all those ancient novels and figure out the deeper meaning and reflect on them? Well, turns out there might have been a point to it. Cause I've got less than two pages of notes, but I think I've cracked the arch of the story.

So tip of the day, take a step back from the actual agonizing process of trying to write all the pussle pieces together, and just consider the work as it lays in your head. As a reader, as the audience member, what speaks to you? What problems and solutions are reflected in the storyline? What paralells can be drawn? What questionmarks are answered, and why are some left behind?

Now, I've gotta go back to Lorelie (yes, my computer has a name, no mocking required), and fight out some more word wars with Camilla... She's beating me senseless in nanowrimo bthw, awesome awesome lady!

*throws chocolate *

/Peaches

No comments: